The PRPA began the SP&S 700's 1472-day boiler rebuild and inspection in 2016. We have the skills and the will to get our favorite steam locomotive back out on the line, but we need your support! Click on the logo above for more information about the project and to do your part to help!!
View older news items in the archives.
- The PRPA Annual Meeting Announced The PRPA's annual membership meeting will be held on Saturday, January 20, at 10am. As in recent years, the venue will be the Multnomah Arts Center, 7688 Southwest Capitol Highway, Portland (see map below right). Members and guests welcome. Hope to see you there!
- Oregon Trust Grant! The PRPA has received a giant boost from the Oregon Cultural Trust for the SP&S 700 steam locomotive rebuild/inspection project, supplying $17,818 towards work done through August 2018!
- Major New Grant! The PRPA has been awarded a grant of $17,818 by the Oregon Cultural Trust for the SP&S 700's rebuild!
- Intel Matches Employee Giving! Intel matched a $900 donation to the PRPA from one of its employees through its Benevity matching system! Thank you, Intel!! Will your employer also match donations? If so, can you give a little more to multiply your impact? Said our donor, "I sponsored a superheater early in 2016 and just figured I'd pick another one up in 2017, but when I found out that Intel would match, I knew I had to ask myself (and my wife) if I could dig a little deeper. Happily she agreed, and the 700 is getting double the benefit!"
- $20,000 Matching Grant Offered!!!! Al Baker—member of the PRPA and ORHF, among other railroad organizations--has offered the PRPA an extraordinary private matching grant of $20,000!!!! Said Al, "I love Portland's locomotives, and feel it is very important they are preserved for future generations. The SP&S 700 is certainly one of the premier large steam locomotives in the country. I truly admire and appreciate all the efforts of the PRPA members who work to preserve and keep her running." Thank you, Al, for your unbelievable generosity!!! This our second match grant, and we still have a long way to go to meet our first one. We really need your support now to take advantage of these stupendous opportunities. Please donate, join, or sponsor a superheater now!!
- Another Grant Awarded!!!! The BNSF Foundation has donated $5000 to assist us in the 1472-day boiler inspection and rebuild for the SP&S 700! It is through gifts like this that we are able to maintain this beautiful piece of history and to preserve it for future generations. You too can join with BNSF in contributing to the SP&S 700's boiler rebuild campaign by sponsoring a superheater, becoming a member, or by making another donation of your choosing. Thank you BNSF Railway for this grant and for all of your support thoughout the years!!!
- The last of the superheaters are out. Next up: ultrasonic testing of the boiler while new superheaters are built.
- HUGE State Grant Awarded!! The PRPA has been awarded the Preserving Oregon Grant in the generous amount of $20,000 for the SP&S 700's boiler rebuild and inspection! We are extremely appreciative for the State of Oregon's offer to support the continued operation of the SP&S 700. This a matching grant, though, so we also need you to demonstrate your support in order to earn the full extent of the State's help for this monumental cultural and historical project. Please donate now!!
- Grant Awarded!!!! We are excited to announce that the Tom E. Dailey Foundation has awarded a $2500 grant toward the SP&S 700's boiler restoration! The PRPA is very pleased to be honored with this award, the Foundation's only grant this quarter for railroad heritage, and we heartily thank the Tom E. Dailey Foundation for their generosity. And thanks to all of you who have already chosen to support the 700.
- Work Progressing Steadily on the SP&S 700's Boiler Rebuild: PRPA volunteers are making good progress in preparing the engine for the FRA 1472-day inspection. All of the jacketting and lagging has been removed from the boiler, exposing the shell. The steam dome and the hatch over the superheater header and throttle have also been removed. Come on down to the Oregon Rail Heritage Center during our Saturday work days (ORHC is closed during our Wednesday sessions) to watch the progress. While you're there, introduce yourself to any of our crew to see how you can help. And you don't have to wait for the weekend to learn more about the project and support the engine... just visit the 2016 ReBuilding Steam page!
- The SP&S 700's Boiler Rebuild is officially underway! PRPA volunteers took the first steps to disassemble our favorite steam locomotive's boiler in preparation for the FRA 1472-day inspection. Visit our 2016 ReBuilding Steam page to learn about the project and lend your support to the engine!
- The PRPA launched the SP&S 700's boiler rebuild fundraising campaign as its Annual Meeting at the Multnomah Arts Center.
- A "v-scale" SP&S 700 model for RailWorks rail simulator has been offered for sale by G-TraX Simulations as part of its "Preservation Series" of offerings. Net proceeds from the sale of this model are donated to the PRPA for the continued preservation of the 700.
Even two years after the release of their product, G-TraX continues to be one of the PRPA's top donors based on this program! View the G-TraX website for details or to make a purchase.