A Scene Soon to be Duplicated:
The SP&S 700 was captured near Avery, WA, during the Western Star excursion in 2005. The engine will return to its "home rails" main line as part of the Northwest Steam Rodeo Special
View older news items in the archives.
- Northwest Steam Rodeo Special: The PRPA is pleased to announce the Northwest Steam Rodeo Special, a main line excursion from Portland to Pasco and return on September 10-12, 2014. The three day event begins at Portland Union Station with the SP&S 700 pulling a train of restored vintage passenger cars out of the station toward Pasco, Washington. Once at Pasco, Happy Canyon staff will treat passengers to a winery dinner. The next day, passengers will be bused to Pendleton to attend the Pendleton Round-Up and the Happy Canyon Night Show. On the final day, passengers will again be met at their hotels and returned to the train for a morning departure back to Portland. Dome, compartment, lounge, and coach seating are offered. Please visit the Northwest Steam Rodeo Special page for more details or to buy tickets.
- Make plans to attend the PRPA's annual business meeting, Saturday, January 4. The meeting will start at 10am and will include elections, a review of 2013, a peak at 2014, and a multimedia show. The public is welcome to attend.
- This Saturday, December 21, the SP&S 700 will once again be bringing Santa to BNSF's Holiday Party in Vancouver, WA (next to the Amtrak station). Bring the kids to see Santa, pay a visit to the 700's cab, and donate a toy in support of the USMC's Toys for Tots drive. We hope to see you there.
- Holiday Express has been a great success once again this year. Crowds of people came out to see the SP&S 700, and the engine performed perfectly. Thanks to all who came out to see us, to everyone who volunteered with ORHF, and to those members of the 4449 crew who helped us out by taking on a few shifts of overnight guard duty.
- A "v-scale" SP&S 700 model for RailWorks rail simulator has been offered for sale by G-TraX Simulations as part of its "Preservation Series" of offerings. Net proceeds from the sale of this model are donated to the PRPA for the continued preservation of the 700.
Even two years after the release of their product, G-TraX continues to be one of the PRPA's top donors based on this program! View the G-TraX website for details or to make a purchase.